Just Watch Me

Just Watch Me

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me. wow. okay; so guess what this one's about?
well.. you guessed wrong. :)

i walked into a cafe thisafternoon on the way home from the bank with my mum, still in my school uniform. as i walked in, all these memories flushed back into my mind. id been there before, i just didnt know when. it hit me. i recognised anything and everything i looked at. the plain counter, the cliche cafe walls of a multicultural community attempting to blend in by decorating in drab random "artworks" and barely any customers. i dont know why, their milkshakes were the bomb.

i remember being in there, god.. about 5 years at the most, and i remember sitting at the end table and just looking around. they havent really extended their designs. that kitten with the bent paw looking at you was still up on the topmost shelf where nobody but dust could reach. and also, an odd site to see was the five- dollar bill sticky- taped to the wall. in my vision all i could see  was half,, so perhaps it was like their "lucky bill".

the best thing i remember about this little cafe was this:
 okay, so its not exactly the biggest of pictues but its a picture of people at a cafe. jimmy dean sitting at the end, humphrey bogart sitting on the side with marilyn monroe and elvis servin' up the shakes, nah just kiddingg.. i actually dont know what hes doing :S

all i know is that i remember all those years ago, sitting in the cafe at the end table, gawking at it... admiring it. i dont know what it was. it just caught my eye. the funny thiing was that when i walked in their today, i searched for it as soon as i realised where i was. i thought to myself, "where's that dream?"
as soon as i found it, i just sat on the end of the table; practically concreted into the dirty tiled ground of the cafe. apparently my mother had been talking to me. apparently. i just sat there, reminiscing in my mind.. thinking of that last time i was there. it was sketchy, but it was there. it was a good feeling.

i wonder if anybody gets those good feelings when they remember something about a place they havent been to in a while. i dont know about your fancy little self reading this, but i know i do. aaall the time. it makes me feel like i am actually somebody. it reminds me that i do have places to go and do things.
thankyou helnwein :) you lit up a piece of my past :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey. I don't know you, but I stumbled upon your blog. I love this, I love the boulevard of broken dreams painting, and I love the comparison of the painting to your own diner story. I just want to encourage you to keep blogging your writing matters, it's what got me here. I like it and it means something.

    ReplyDelete